Thursday, August 23, 2007

Still drying out

2 days later, we are still drying out.
There is a stench in the air outside, mixed of damp grass and sewer. Unfortunately that reminds me of visits to Hong Kong and Thailand.

According to the press release late this afternoon,
National Guard troops should be responding to Findlay in the next couple of days, according to Mayor Tony Iriti. He intends to request troops to help clean up the mess left in the wake of the flooding and military police to patrol damaged neighborhoods."In case anybody is even thinking about causing problems like looting and what not, it will be deterred," Iriti said during an emergency City Council meeting Thursday afternoon.

Looks like we turned into a min-New Orleans. This move is necessary, in my opinion, because the hard hit part of the city is Main Street, filled with banks, appliance, jewelry, electronic and clothing stores. School is not in session yet, and the kids may be restless and have itchy fingers.

This afternoon there was an unmarked black chopper hovering above the city. Yesterday, there was another navy blue chopper across the city with FEMA on the side. What does this mean? FEMA is coming to town. In addition, the head of Homeland Security was in town too. Yes, Secretary Michael Chertoff was in town to see the flood of the century. The impact of this visit hopefully will yield some good.

In the meantime, I have 3 gallons of bleach ready to tackle the basement. There is a funny must smell. There are fans and heaters running, mops and buckets standy on duty all the time.

Right now I am waiting on the insurance adjustor to show up. Let's see what kind of battle I have to fight. The attention will be on the major appliances that I have no heart to explore. Somehow, dismantling the washer seems like a really task, I know it is just psychological, sometime the mountain of laundry will conquer the mental anguish.

What is the economic damage? I do not know.

Singapore is too crowded for me, I survived Hurricane Bob in 1991, thus I decided against living by the coast. But this is not supposed to happen in the middle of Ohio. How can a city smacked in the middle of farmland bury in flood waters mirroring those of a coastal town?

As the FEMA chopper flew overhead, I muttered,
"This is not suppose to happen in Findlay Ohio."

No comments:

Post a Comment