Friday, June 06, 2008

30 Seconds

In less than a week span, the tornado sirens went off again.

We are not taking any chances, 2 members of this household have survived too many catastrophes and disaster to know not to tempt fate. Let's see a hurricane, earthquakes, floods and tornadoes.

The clouds loomed over the backyard like a giant overlooking my shoulder, blocking any light simulating night fall. Just as I straightened my achy knees, the tornado sirens wailed. Within seconds, the dogs were in the house, the kids chased into the basement, turning off everything and grabbing blankets and pillows into the lowest level.

We stayed there for about 30 minutes, equipped with a television, pillows and blankets, we told the kids this was a camp-out. The warning lifted before long and then we began the task of breathing.

The span of 30 seconds allowance, to grab any thing or everything important.
What did I grab? Fortunately I had a waterproof bag of all our important documents and identifications. That was a 15 second dash. Looking around the immediate surrounding, I grabbed the next most important or valuable, our Penguin Jerseys. Yes I grabbed our jerseys.

What would you grab in 30 seconds?

No comments:

Post a Comment